Since my post a few weeks ago about the Come Follow Me for Individuals and Families, I have had sisters both within our stake and from some who have since moved away, share their experiences. With their permission, I am sharing them with all of you - in hopes that it will encourage each of us to keep trying.
"I have struggled with an 8 year old trying to keep her away from the snow for the better part of the morning! (It was a Sunday and she was trying to help her daughter keep the Sabbath Day holy.) I had to think of something quick! So once I told her Church was cancelled I said ‘they’ sent us a lesson to do at home. So I started with a children’s bible video (from the Gospel App), we talked about the Angel Gabriel, Mary & Elisabeth. And watched 2 more of the videos in the Bible series. We also read a bit of the children’s version of the New Testament. I tell you....reading the children’s version is so helpful in my journey as well!"
-Star Miller
"Someone got her first set of scriptures…so everything needs to be underlined. Someone else is taking this home study by storm and taking copious notes every lesson. Going strong on week three (had to document while we were still on top of our game)."
-Darice Auston
"I just have to share how much we have loved the "Come Follow Me' program in our home. I will admit, I worried that I would have to do a lot of nagging to get our whole family together on a daily basis, but instead, it has been the most beautiful bonding experience. I don't think we have ever had the opportunity to share so much about what truly matters in life with each other. No one complains, everyone participates, everyone takes turn leading the discussion. In just a month, it has blessed us so profoundly. I know this program was inspired by a Heavenly Father who loves us, has faith in us and knows how much we need each other every day. I am so grateful for President Nelson and this powerful program. I never dreamed with our uber busy lives that we would be able to squeeze in another thing, but the time is always there! Sometimes, it doesn't happens until 10 PM, but it almost always happens and that is a true miracle. We have missed a few days and that's ok. We don't beat ourselves up, because we truly miss having missed our time as a family. In fact, our boys will actually remind us--knock me over with a feather!"
-Alex Franco
"I just have to share how much we have loved the "Come Follow Me' program in our home. I will admit, I worried that I would have to do a lot of nagging to get our whole family together on a daily basis, but instead, it has been the most beautiful bonding experience. I don't think we have ever had the opportunity to share so much about what truly matters in life with each other. No one complains, everyone participates, everyone takes turn leading the discussion. In just a month, it has blessed us so profoundly. I know this program was inspired by a Heavenly Father who loves us, has faith in us and knows how much we need each other every day. I am so grateful for President Nelson and this powerful program. I never dreamed with our uber busy lives that we would be able to squeeze in another thing, but the time is always there! Sometimes, it doesn't happens until 10 PM, but it almost always happens and that is a true miracle. We have missed a few days and that's ok. We don't beat ourselves up, because we truly miss having missed our time as a family. In fact, our boys will actually remind us--knock me over with a feather!"
-Alex Franco
I recently read again two of the General Conference talks about the Sunday meeting adjustments and the Come Follow Me for Individuals and Families. I felt the Spirit whisper clearly to my soul the truth in these inspired changes and focus. I felt a desire to claim fully the promised blessings.
"The new home-centered, Church-supported integrated curriculum has the potential to unleash the power of families, as each family follows through conscientiously and carefully to transform their home into a sanctuary of faith. I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, over time your Sabbath days will truly be a delight. Your children will be excited to learn and to live the Savior’s teachings, and the influence of the adversary in your life and in your home will decrease. Changes in your family will be dramatic and sustaining." (Becoming Exemplary Latter-day Saints, President Russell M. Nelson, October 2018)
"We are confident that members will be blessed in extraordinary ways. -- The announcements made today will result in profound blessings for those who enthusiastically embrace the adjustments and seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost." (Deep and Lasting Conversion to Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, Elder Quentin L. Cook, October 2018)
My own family experiences were admittedly awkward at the start, but are becoming more genuinely enjoyable. It has provided an opportunity for conversations that are helping us share and articulate our thoughts, our understandings, our beliefs in a way that we have rarely done. I am grateful for this inspired opportunity. And I'm grateful to know that there is no perfect, one right way to do this. The only "right way" is to try. Consistently trying is what will bring us the blessings.
-Lorie Pierce
"The new home-centered, Church-supported integrated curriculum has the potential to unleash the power of families, as each family follows through conscientiously and carefully to transform their home into a sanctuary of faith. I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, over time your Sabbath days will truly be a delight. Your children will be excited to learn and to live the Savior’s teachings, and the influence of the adversary in your life and in your home will decrease. Changes in your family will be dramatic and sustaining." (Becoming Exemplary Latter-day Saints, President Russell M. Nelson, October 2018)
"We are confident that members will be blessed in extraordinary ways. -- The announcements made today will result in profound blessings for those who enthusiastically embrace the adjustments and seek the guidance of the Holy Ghost." (Deep and Lasting Conversion to Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, Elder Quentin L. Cook, October 2018)
My own family experiences were admittedly awkward at the start, but are becoming more genuinely enjoyable. It has provided an opportunity for conversations that are helping us share and articulate our thoughts, our understandings, our beliefs in a way that we have rarely done. I am grateful for this inspired opportunity. And I'm grateful to know that there is no perfect, one right way to do this. The only "right way" is to try. Consistently trying is what will bring us the blessings.
-Lorie Pierce

